Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing #22

Podcasts, wow, what a concept. I buy audio books all the time and listen to them while I clean or lay in my pool. I love listening to audio books. I also like teaching with books on audio so that my ESL students can follow what is being read without me having to read it. I found some things I could use for my kids on Educational Podcast Directory. I found some easy books for my beginning ESL kids and some poetry for my advanced kids.
I found some things I liked to listen to on Learn Out Loud. I started listening to Washington Irvings, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. The guy that was reading the story was really good. I made myself quit listening so that I could blog. I am going to go back and finish listening when I get finished.
The Educational Podcast site was really easy to use. I found it more user friendly than the other ones. I got confused when I tried to do the RSS feed but after browsing around a minute I figured out what I was doing. With so many accounts going on from this class I have to look back in my notes to figure out all my passwords and things. You really have to make sure you write all of your information down or you can get lost quickly.
I think making a podcast of my advanced kids reading books and letting my beginning kids listen to the book will inspire them to become better readers. These kids don't have the advantage of having parents that read stories to them in English before bedtime or grandparents that read them nursery rhymes as toddlers. They need a little more motivation to become fluent readers and this just might be it.

No comments: